myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Fins
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: New Fins Reply with quote

lrrry wrote:
Looking for something for a newer 160 Starboard and older BicSport 160 Formula.

Larry
Correct me if I'm wrong, but anyone using these two boards looking for fins wouldn't be interested in sinking a lot of money into state of the art equipment.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: New Fins Reply with quote

sailingjoe wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but anyone using these two boards looking for fins wouldn't be interested in sinking a lot of money into state of the art equipment.

OK, You are wrong.

Ben Bamer knows of what he speaks. You, Mr. Not-So-Swift, do not.
sergio_k

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: New Fins Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
sailingjoe wrote:

OK, You are wrong.

Ben Bamer knows of what he speaks. You, Mr. Not-So-Swift, do not.

Plus, you can find quality used fins from those brands now (Ifju, Kashy...),
if you want to save some bucks, Deb used (<$200) would be good too,
but I wouldn't buy new formula fins from other that those 4 brands that Ben wrote of.
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add a comment here. First of all, I was posting from experience and there's no better knowledge than empirical. Dan Weiss will sell you anything and make it sound like it's exactly what you want. the original poster never did return to post, but he may have done some reading. Nevertheless, if you are not looking for a "full blown" racing fin, I stand by the Mirage. I repeated the experience which I wrote up here last Friday and would enter the same comments. Admittedly I was trying to hijack the thread with a post regarding a course slalom fin, but my point would be that you really don't have to pay a lot for your muffler.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kashy, F4, and one of the other brands mentioned have interesting web sites. Nevertheless, I see the trend as one of independents making their own fins. I had an exchange of e-mails with a group a couple of years ago that obviously now has formed a better company for production. They were willing to pot a formula fin at a rake that would serve as a weed fin. It seems to me that they were motivated by the high price of Deb's and Drakes to make their own. Discounting the more established companies in favor of their stuff seems somewhat like a lot of hype. It seems that Kashy has been going to a more raked angle and all are softening their fin tips. They are trying to increase the range of the fins and thus be prepared for the varying conditions of sailing. Earlier product wasn't all that forgiving and worked best in a tight range. They also are trying to get more bang for the buck and have the fins as soft as G-10 but more durable. That doesn't mean that the early G-10's don't work well. The True Ames formula has a 2 degree rake while 4-4.5 is the most requested. The Mirage has a 7 degree rake, much more in line with current offerings.

Last edited by speedysailor on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
sailingjoe wrote:
Let me add a comment here. First of all, I was posting from experience and there's no better knowledge than empirical. Dan Weiss will sell you anything and make it sound like it's exactly what you want. The original poster never did return to post, but he may have done some reading. Nevertheless, if you are not looking for a "full blown" Formula racing fin, I stand by the Mirage. I repeated the experience with an 8.4, same board and fin, which I wrote up here last Friday and would enter the same comments. Admittedly I was trying to hijack the thread with a post regarding a course slalom fin, but my point would be that you really don't have to pay a lot for your muffler.

Brucie, a.k.a. "sailingjoe" and "speedysailor," your words are echoing in your empty head?

Talking to yourself again?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: