myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Fins
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lrrry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: New Fins Reply with quote

All,

Seems like there's been some revolution in fins in the last few years, especially for the formula boards.

Thoughts on what's best. Looking for something for a newer 160 Starboard and older BicSport 160 Formula.

Larry
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,

If I were you I would look into getting a Deboichet fin. Now there are quite a few different configurations that offer stiffness and rake variations to suit a number of performance goals. I'm thinking that you would probably be in the ballpark with the R13 70 line.

I would suggest contacting Bruce Peterson directly at Sailworks, as he does stock a number of Deboichet custom fins, to include some less expensive used ones too. The new Deboichets are pricey devils at about $450 each, so a less expensive used model will likely save you some bucks. Bruce is a personable guy, and very helpful too. I bought a Tectonics Falcon 32 from him, and I was quite happy with both the price and prompt service.

http://www.sailworks.com/web/category.cfm?category=17
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debs always a good choice, especially 2-4 years ago, but seems almost none of the 20 odd Formula guys at Berkeley have one on their boards, yet lots of them are selling them in various configs.
OK, there's 12 Formula guys based out of Berk, but last week was a CalCup race so I so lots more boards and fins.
Seems slightly swept more, less square tipped, softer generally, but not consistent with rider sizing, no G-10, appears to be the call.
$$$$ is quite a bit more than Debs last year, like triple or at least double.
Can't quote company because they're swamped trying to fill demand anyways and most are experiemental one off customs.
But reality is.....if you have to ask, then a Deb is always a good choice.
Control downwind is paramount, as is the always thin flattish trailing edge going into a almost square (chop off) trailing edge.
icesailing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: fins Reply with quote

starboard is using a person that was with the debo. fins and making some nice fin for alot less, also tetchtonics fins are pretty top end.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techtonics
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
Techtonics

Or maybe Tectonics?
LeeD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't spell worth a d's either....
Parton's fins are great for slalom, lightwind sailing, surf, bump and jump, but for SURE, but stay away for Formula racing. They're prolly OK for just light wind sailing.
All the newer Formula fins are lighter, thinner foiled, last longer (a real problem with long and short G-10 fins), faster, and newer shapes for downwind control.
For the 160, anything from a wide 45 up to a skinny 58 should be fine.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the original poster hasn't given a follow-up on this. It would be interesting to see if and what he finally bought. As to Tectonics Fins, I think they are the bomb, so to speak. I was wondering what those Formula racers are using at Berkeley. Deb's seem to get all the attention these days what with their use by K. Pritchard and others on the pro tour. However, a 56 cm Mirage (Course racing) gave me a great session Friday. Ordinarily I use a weed fin in flattish water, but this time out the tide was high in a Debbie Harry sort of way and the weeds have died down so I screwed the Mirage into the 160 liter Naish Icon and rigged the 9.6 Loft 02. Although when I arrived at the launch, there was a half dozen kite riders on the water having a gay ole time, boosting like a deck full of newly caught fish, by the time I waded in, the winds had died into a long lull. They were stranded, but I was able to do a number of non-planing reaches. I was rather impressed with the upwind ability of the fin at that time. Then the winds quickly picked up, accelerating in speed into the evening hours. For a while I was fully powered and able to enjoy full use of the Tectonics fin. Not only did I find it quite fast at the high end, I found it rather stable. The wave action picked up with the wind. Since the air temps were rather warm there were a number of boats out creating interference and voodoo chop, but the fin handled everything well. At the end of my session I was definitely over-powered with gustier conditions and hitting some wild speeds. However, it was never a case of "scary fast" as the fin, again, felt stable and smooth. In addition, I cut a number of gybes in front of the kiters in the shallow end of the pond. This fin did not make it difficult and continued to make it easy for me to stay up-wind.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry,
You didn’t say if you were racing or just recreational sailing. For recreational sailing for us light or middle weight guys True Ames makes a nice formula fin.

Coachg
bamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is the original poster went somewhere else for advice after it became clear those who responded had little to no idea what he was talking about.

This 'fin revolution' is almost entirely about flex. Namely molding a foil with a graduated flex profile finishing in a soft tip. Debiochet basically missed this revolution entirely which opened the door for a number of smaller manufacturers that, race results show, offer a superior product.

These manufacturers include Kashy, Ifju, F4, VMG Foils.

The regular guys in Berkeley are all using these new generation fins which are faster, more controllable, and generally just more fun to sail.

Most of the top Formula pros are using fins from one of the four smaller manufacturers as well, even if they are sponsored by someone like Deb, MFC, etc.

The Deboichet recommendation would have been a good one if it were 2006. No harm done, Formula evolves pretty fast and if you are not involved it's hard to give accurate advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: