myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
women's wetsuit HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amarie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: women's wetsuit HELP Reply with quote

Hi,

I am stuck far away from anywhere selling wind-specific wetsuits, and I'm trying to keep this within a budget, but have already paid shipping both ways on one that didn't work out. I need a recommendation of a suit and brand that's really working for women out there, and also advice on whether this runs big/small/long/ for its size (I am 5'5'' petite build).

I want either a 4/3 full suit, or a similar thickness sleeveless that I would layer with a jacket. I also want to make sure it's full smooth skin on the outside, and I want it to be a decent model from a quality brand.

I've pretty much eliminated ProMotion (no offense to them--they're so nice on the phone; just that the sleeves of the women's "storm" model were too baggy for my liking, and i want to wear this for occasional triathlons as well, so baggy is not ideal). Now I'm considering the Neil Pryde 3000 line or the ProLimit 4/3 Steamer (although the PL is difficult to find online).

Complicating matters, my old 4/3 steamer was a "rip curl girl" size 6, which fit amazingly (but was a surf suit & chilly), but Prolimit size 6 was huge on me, and I ordered a RipCurl shortie in size 8 which was way too small.

Anyway, thanks for reading all this & any help is greatly appreciated.
mogunn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amarie,

I had a PM 5/3 Storm last season and didn't like the amount of cold water that came in thru the neck and back zip. This season I got a NPX Sinner 5/3 and it's hands-down the best suit I've ever owned.

The suit material is something called Apex-Flex. The outer part is a slick material laminated over some kind of magic fabric/rubber concoction...the construction is detailed on the website if you're interested.

The point is, it's not the traditional smooth skin on the outside, but it's warm, toasty and very stretchy. It doesn't feel thick and heavy like the ProMotion. The comfort factor for me is a 10. Wind chill is almost nonexistent, nothing like the old non-smooth skin suits. This material seems to keep the shoulders and other high stress areas from premature cracking and disintegrating. I've worn the suit at least 100 days so far and it looks like it can last several seasons.

Compared to the ProMotion suits the NPX feels like it's cut 1 size smaller. The arms are snug but not uncomfortable like the older NP long sleeve neo suits could be and it's very easy to get on and off.

Some of the other ladies around here wear similar suits by O'Neill. I don't recall the specific style name, but they also have fabric rather than the traditional smooth skin as an outer layer. Those suits get good reviews from their owners too.

IMHO, suits constructed like the NPX and O'Neill will likely outlast and outperform the smoothies. If you get a chance to try one on I think you'll see and feel the difference.

pacopicot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: wetsuits for women Reply with quote

I agree with Mo. Material in wetsuit changed a lot in the past few years.
The O'Neill wetsuits mentioned in his message and that a lot of sailors at Coyote or Third have, are Psycho2 and Psycho Freak. Both are really warm, durable and extremely comfortable. I am using the Psycho2 for over 14 years in different activities ranging from Surfing, windsurfing and white water kayaking.
I used the size chart to look at the size and it was perfect.

http://www.bravesurf.com/Knowledge/ONeillWetsuitSizeCharts/tabid/111/Default.aspx

I highly recommend these wetsuits
mogunn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: wetsuits for women Reply with quote

pacopicot wrote:
...wetsuits mentioned in his message...

Mo is a she, not a he.
Wink

geffert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you already know, buying a wetsuit online is one of the toughest purchases you can make. It's all about finding the right fit for your body as well as the right warmth.
From what you've described, the Prolimit Puregirl sould like they will work. The steamers are all slick skin like the ProMotions, but the arms are less baggy. They tend to work well on a lankier builds (5'5" and petite is the right description). Prolimit's sizing is Small, Medium, Large. Sounds like you are a medium.

Other suits I would recommend are: Xcel's Infinity or Xcel's Superflex, O'Neill's Psycho, or ION's womens' steamer. I can personally vouch for the Xcels as I own one of each. They are surf style suits but are significantly warmer than your Ripcurl. The Infinity was awarded wetsuit of the year last year. Blind stitched, bonded seams, bomber proof. Oh, and extremely comfortable! Smile

I have a shop and we do carry the Puregirls and the Xcels. I also know a great shop that carries O'Neills and I'm happy to make a recommendation for an ION dealer too.

Feel free to call me at 415.385.1224 if you want further advice or would like a Prolimit.

Cheers and good luck in buying a wetsuit.

-Rebecca

Boardsports School & Shop
San Francisco, San Mateo, Alameda
www.BoardsportsSchool.com
info@boardsportsschool.com
amarie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much. I'll research these and hopefully get one soon. looking forward to being toasty this winter.
outcast

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife is very happy with the xcel infinity.....womens cut
sailingjoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:

Some of the other ladies around here wear similar suits by O'Neill. I don't recall the specific style name, but they also have fabric rather than the traditional smooth skin as an outer layer. Those suits get good reviews from their owners too.

IMHO, suits constructed like the NPX and O'Neill will likely outlast and outperform the smoothies. If you get a chance to try one on I think you'll see and feel the difference.
I have the O'Neil Psycho II which was designed for surfers. It hasn't enough smooth skin to block the wind, the stretchy fabric has a wind chill factor, but otherwise it's a good suit. Pam from Sailworld in Wareham, Ma. wears one and loves it. I keep it for Florida in January, but am trying to work through other suits for current Cape Cod temps. It just isn't warm enough.
outcast

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Sailingjoe has Man-Boobs, so he should be able to judge the fit.
ron.c

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Jeff

My wife has had great sucess with an Excel Infinity, this summer my daughter feel in love with it too.

We're also an Excel boot family, with with 3 of 4 wearing them. My daughter with her summer growth spurt is wearing Oneil round-toes too small for me.

When we're not wearing wetsuits, you can find us watchIing Zach and Cody the Suite Life, Hannah Montanna, Fairly Odd Family, The Witches of Waverly Place and the old standby SPONGEBOB. Man what ever happen to Johnny Quest??

RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: