myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rigging a sail with 40cm. extension??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Rigging a sail with 40cm. extension?? Reply with quote

Has anyone had first hand experience of rigging a sail on a mast with 40cm. extension.
The reason I'm asking is that I am about to buy a 6.5 Ezzy with luff of 468cm. and I want to use 430 skinny and 38-40cm. extension. On their website they list 430cm. as a second choice for rigging.
Obviously 460 is the first choice, but I don't have one and am not planing to buy one at this time.
Is it doable? Will the performance of the sail be affected?
If anyone has used similar setup, please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Ivo
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with the RDM, but with SDM. My 6.5 Severne NCX takes a 430 as the required mast and a 460 as a backup. With the 430 I get a softer feeling sail. At 170 lbs I prefer the softer 430 vs. the stiffer 460. A bigger person would probably rig the 460 for more power.

Coachg
3-phase

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 cm RDM extension works well. KA has the 6.4 Kult rigs on a 430 cm RDM and has a luff 462.

Jurg

www.kasail.com
www.a-h-d.com
www.windsurfdeal.com
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Rigging a sail with 40cm. extension?? Reply with quote

I have rigged a Custom 5.5 Northwave sail on a 430 CM RDM Naish FireStick mast with 40 CM chinook RDM extension for 3 seasons.
No issue so far. I can rig it on my 460 RDM, but I like the softer feel
on the 430.

-Craig

ivog wrote:
Has anyone had first hand experience of rigging a sail on a mast with 40cm. extension.
The reason I'm asking is that I am about to buy a 6.5 Ezzy with luff of 468cm. and I want to use 430 skinny and 38-40cm. extension. On their website they list 430cm. as a second choice for rigging.
Obviously 460 is the first choice, but I don't have one and am not planing to buy one at this time.
Is it doable? Will the performance of the sail be affected?
If anyone has used similar setup, please let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Ivo
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had good luck boosting a 430 SDM on a Windwing 7.0 Synthesis, and more recently using 430 RDM on a Hansen Freerace 7.1, but I've only been using 30cm of extension. However, extending as much as 38-40cm might introduce some issues to consider. One could be attaching the boom outside of the possible re-enforcement zone of the mast, and thereby risk mast breakage. The other is, as already mentioned, ending up with a softer mast that changes the mast stiffness that the sail designer intended. Lighter sailors might benefit, whereas a heavier one might not.
pacopicot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing it a lot with my 5.7 Simmer Crossover with a Streamlined extension and my 400 Mast.
I also had family member visiting and had to use my 5.0 ICON on my 370 mast with the streamlined extension ....my 4.4 ICON etc etc. As explained above, slightly softer feel. But sails keeping good shape. No issue I guess for light and average weight sailors
ivog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the answers. I do like a softer feel sails, so it seems that it will work. The boom going below the mast reinforcement area is the only concern. I have to take a look at my mast and see how far down the reinforcement goes.
Also, a question to "swchandler". You said that on the Hansen Freerace 7.1 you use only 30 cm. extension, but on their site it says the luff is 468? How did you manage that? The sail I am about to buy has the same length luff.
Isn't it 430cm.(Mast)+38cm.(extension)=468cm.(length of the luff)? Or am I missing something?

Ivo

swchandler wrote:
I've had good luck boosting a 430 SDM on a Windwing 7.0 Synthesis, and more recently using 430 RDM on a Hansen Freerace 7.1, but I've only been using 30cm of extension. However, extending as much as 38-40cm might introduce some issues to consider. One could be attaching the boom outside of the possible re-enforcement zone of the mast, and thereby risk mast breakage. The other is, as already mentioned, ending up with a softer mast that changes the mast stiffness that the sail designer intended. Lighter sailors might benefit, whereas a heavier one might not.
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Rigging a sail with 40cm. extension?? Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I have rigged a Custom 5.5 Northwave sail on a 430 CM RDM Naish FireStick mast with 40 CM chinook RDM extension for 3 seasons.
No issue so far. I can rig it on my 460 RDM, but I like the softer feel
on the 430.

-Craig

That must be an interesting sail. I rig my northwave 5.7 on a 430 with 22cm. Are you sure you didn't mean 400cm instead of 430?
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ivog,

You raise an interesting point, but in reality, the luff length noted on the website isn't correct, at least for the 2007 model I bought. Before I received the sail from Hansen Sails, based on the stated specifications, I bought a brand new Streamline extension to attain the extra 38cm stated. However, upon receiving the sail, which was personally delivered by Mike Percey and Jane Morson, I found that the luff length to be only 460cm. No doubt, a surprise, but you can't argue with reality. I have to say though, that I still needed the longer extension anyway, since my Chinook extension only offered 28cm.

Lastly from my experience, Hansen Sails hasn't been up to speed on all the data on their website. Even after I pointed out some discrepancies, no effort was made to update the site. Not the greatest tack, but what can I say?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting with a softish Skinny mast and jacking it up another 40 cm will hold up your sail, alright, but will give you one heck of a noodly and distorted rig with limited wind range and sluggish responses. I suggest you ask the expert on your Ezzy: Dave Ezzy. Unless he blesses this odd couple, you might consider buying a used sail and spending the savings on the right mast. Some shortcuts aren't worth the compromises and nobody (knowledgeable) ever said this sport is cheap.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: