myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hole repair on f2 board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moussaba

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Hole repair on f2 board Reply with quote

I just bought (for a small price) a F2 Xantos 310 CS 147L board. There are however to dime sized holes that need patching, can you recommend a repair kit? Also, the board came without a fin, can anybody recommend a fin for low-medium wind condition? I am sailing in the sacramento area, getting back into as a matter of fact.

I am attaching a picture of the holes.

xantos.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.5 KB
 Viewed:  16486 Time(s)

xantos.jpg

rationalnational

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moose,

One of those is definite;y into the sandwich. You can solarex them but the sand out will take paint off around it. Best bet would be a build up repair (3-4 days).
If you want to know the particulars mail me.

N
moussaba

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: F2 board repair Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, you are right, I can see the foam. I can afford 3-4 days. What do I need to do to make the board useable? I thought about solarez but wanted to confirm. I don't particular need a perfect repair, just good enough to sail with until I can get something better
bobgp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: ding stick Reply with quote

I have had go luck with the epoxy ding stick. Easy to use . Most shops carry it and hardware stores too. Carefull not to use solorez which is for polyester not epoxy.
zlowman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it to a professional......cause you usually get what you pay for!
H2OJoe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solarez makes both polyester and epoxy repair kits. Just make sure you use the epoxy one on your board. Epoxy Ding Stick is quicker and easier but does not look as good when completed. A tip for using ding stick - keep your fingers wet/moist while working with it to keep the ding stick material from sticking to your fingers.
wsmike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you end up sanding/grinding and feathering out the edges of each hole, please DO NOT use ding stick.

Ding stick and the foam inside your board are different densities and over time, repeated pounding will cause the harder ding stick to create a cavity from impacting the softer foam over and over again.

Use Gorilla Glue, and some water. Mix it up in a dixie cup and pour it in the hole. Be aware that this stuff will expand 2-3x the liquid amount and turn to a small cell foam that is very similar to the diviny cell or EVA foam inside your board. Its water proof, extremely sticky and lasts much better than ding stick. It will also work its way into tiny cracks and crevasses in a way that ding stick never will.

After that, sand down the gorilla glue foam, and do a few layers of 4 oz cloth with west systems epoxy, or solarez if you don't have the WS epoxy.

This process is not hard at all and will result in a MUCH better repair.

Don't get me wrong, I like ding stick for on the water repairs when I need to sail the same day, but that's about it.
moussaba

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed reply Mike: here are the steps I will follow, I have some questions on some of them:

1-Remove broken material to completely expose holes
2-sand around the dings
3-Mix the gorrilla glue with water, WHAT PROPORTIONS?
3-Pour the mix into the dings
4-Let dry, and sand down.
5-Add few layers of 4 Oz Cloth, i.e., put one layer down, epoxy, another layer down, epoxy, OR SHOULD I JUST layer 3-4 layers of 4 oz fiberglass cloth and then add the epoxy
6-After drying, sand down again and spray paint.

Is this all that needs to be done
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: