myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
baggy drysuit comparison (3 listed) recommendation?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwwindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: baggy drysuit comparison (3 listed) recommendation? Reply with quote

What of these 3 for fall/spring sailing in the Northwest?

* O'Neill Assault Hybrid Drysuit

* Bare Polarheat Dry Suit

* NPX Lucifer Dry suit
- funky "bro" boardhead design
- listed as breathable
- designed for kiters, but assume works fine for sailboards too
- does this work with a seat harness, or just a waist?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You overlooked the best baggy on the market: Kokatat. Once you've tried Goretex you won't look back.

Mike \m/
*Matt*

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars is right. Kokatat was regarded as the best in my sailing circles. The other thing is to not cheap out on the pee zipper. It is worth it's cost, no matter what it is.
nwwindsurf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Kokatat Reply with quote

Assuming you're referring to the Kokatat meridian drysuit w/zip... this comes with "socks" attached (and no ankle seals) which I imagine require booties over to prevent puncturing?

Also, does the pee zip stay out of the way of a low seat harness/bar cinched up tight aross the hips?

What's the floatation like with one of these (non-neoprene)?

Any shop known for the best prices or just go anywhere?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the Meridian, the Front-entry GoreTex dry suit,

People who wear booties LOVE the sock; they would not hold up barefooted. I don't wear booties but often stay in my suit as long as my burritos allow, so I bought the suit sans booties and had Kokatat add a pee zip. Simple for guys (and for girls who have learned to pee standing up).

Never mind; Google it in rew.windsurfing.

I've never noticed the zipper until I needed it ... and don't even have to remove my XTSeat harness.

Flotation is your call, from zero to hundreds of pounds depending on the air you choose to -- or not to -- burp out of the neck. I like a little, maybe 10-15 pounds, but more makes everything unwieldy at best, outta control at worst. You can burp it anywhere, anytime, with one finger. It's easiest while in the water.

Their prices are very nearly uniform everywhere you look. Outdoor Play in Hood River sometimes offers deals; I ordered mine from REI during their annual 20%-off-one-item sale (they've had 25% off lately; check).

Mike \m/
nwwindsurf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. thanks Mike.

I might go your route of adding a zipper to the non-sock suit version because of some feedback I've read elsewhere. Those posts say that spending any amount of time walking around (assume in booties) quickly stresses the sock seams to the point where they leak, and this was from a kayak site where they spend most of their time sitting. Since we are always standing or walking to/from launches I'd assume windsurfers would wear out the sock seams rather quickly.

I was wanting a non-sock version anyway as I think that's better for draining any minor leaks and I prefer the idea of having seals around the bottom. Already have the same seal arrangement on a rather wettish semi-dry suit and wear separate booties with this suit. I get really fatigued with the semi-dry due to the thickness and tightness of the rubber, so going to try the baggy dry next.
mjudy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the O'Neill Boost dry suit? It's breathable as well.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Breathable nylon" and "GoreTex" are not in the same league. The former feels like a Hefty Bag in a Corpus Christi sauna, the latter like expensive pajamas on a cool summer SoCal evening.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Breathable nylon" and "GoreTex" are not in the same league. The former feels like a Hefty Bag in a Corpus Christi sauna, the latter like expensive pajamas on a cool summer SoCal evening.

Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: