myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing in Cabarete Dominican Republic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidmpls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: windsurfing in Cabarete Dominican Republic Reply with quote

Hi

I am booked to go to Cabarete staying at the Wyndham Tangerine for a week. Can anyone give me advice on renting windsurf and/or kite gear - which places are good, how to get a decent price ect.

I have been on windsurf trips before and sometimes find the rental gear to be in pretty shape.

I'm also contemplating taking a lesson. I have been windsurfing for years but could always learn something new. Are the instructors good?

Thanks
npiankov

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went there a couple years ago, booking through Vela (renting from them as well). There wasn't much wind, but waves were good. Supposedly, summer is the opposite.

We didn't check out any other rental places, but Vela's gear was good. There were probably another 6-8 rental places on the beach with different brands of gear. Most of it was new, but a couple of places had older gear (several years old). I didn't inquire about prices, but I bet some would be cheaper than Vela. So one alternative would be to get there, walk through all the centers, see which set of gear you like best (brand, condition, daily availability) and compare prices. The one potential downside to this approach is that some places, like Vela, would charge you more to rent on the beach than to pre-book. I guess they want to prevent this walking around. Unfortunately, I think that many of those rental centers don't have websites (I was able to find only one other online 2 years ago), so you won't be able to make a decision with complete information if you pre-book.

Sorry I can't suggest anything more specific. Maybe someone who rented at the other places will give you more info.
RickCronk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fellow River Rat is at Cabarete Vela now. I quote:
"Got out to and thru the reef on on 101L JP Free Style/Wave board with 6.5 Firefly sail. Lots of schlog skills needed to get to the wind but sweet when on plane with chop, swells, and waves.

Been planing 6 out of 7 days so far with 3 to go and biggest sail used has been 7.7. Been on Starboard Futura 145L, Kode 122L, JP Xcite 110, 120,130, and 145."

He goes often this time of year and very much recommends it. Seems like you can't go wrong by most accounts. It's best to contact Vela in advance to lock in your board choices. Enjoy, RC
windstoke

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HAVE BEEN A FEW TIMES...ALWAYS A GOOD TIME. I ALWAYS BOOK THROUGH VELA AND HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. THE STAFF HAS ALWAYS BEEN FRIENDLY. THE TOWN IS PRETTY COOL TOO.
apierce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed their mid July last year for one week and rented through Vela. I sailed almost every day, mainly 5.5 and 101 litre board. The Reef was a blast.

Below are reasons I opted for Vela.

1. They had website with list of all gear for all their locations.
2. You can call and get prices and make reservation through U.S. phone #.
3. You can reserve and be guaranteed your size equipment is on hand. If you walk up, they may be out of your favorite euipment.
4. As in Aruba, most gear was no more than one year old.
5. Suggest you purchase optional gear insurance (around $40 US) for peace of mind when sailing the Reef.

I saw several guests receive instruction. The staff was very friendly and expert. There was also some free instruction to groups in the afternoon.

There were other centers as well in Cabarate, but I would rent again from Vela.

Enjoy your trip.
Hurl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Cabarate Reply with quote

I recommend Vela as well. They had JP, Starboard and Neil pryde sails. Great staff and nice bar area. Highly recommend the Insurance. I shreaded a whole rig 1 day at the reef and broke a boom the next .All was coverd. Other than that a great week. The prices are cheaper when done in advance and the Insurance coverage is higher(around 1200.)The other rental place had Mistral and North equipment. The sailing in the spring start's around 2 and end's around 6pm. Summer could be better? Have fun and don't drink the water!
liquidmpls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all the good advice folks

i might even take a kite lesson if the wind is too low (yeah dont hate me lol)

if anyone has any questions I'll try to find out info when I am down there
Tytus1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been going there for over 15 years. Vela is the best; I have tried them all and they are by far a great group of people. Tell Jenz, big German type guy, Tytus sent you and he will set you up adn make you feel welcome and always listen to him regarding the gear you should take out. Take a lesson from Niel if you can. Others are good also but he has the most experience and we watched him do magic with some friends. We were just there over the 4th and it was fantastic. Vela also has some great accommodation available so look into that as well.

When you get there ask Lucy, at the bar, for a rum chinola, and again tell her Tytus sent you. You should get a big smile and you will get the right treatment from that point on.

This is my favorite place so have a blast!

Tytus
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: windsurfing in Cabarete Dominican Republic Reply with quote

liquidmpls wrote:
Hi

Can anyone give me advice on renting windsurf and/or kite gear
Are the instructors good?

Thanks

We were there in April, booked and rented through Vela, stayed at Velero. Didn't regret about anything even for an instance. Tons of all sorts of gear for everybody. I took my harness with me for the trip but it turned out that I didn’t need it. Vela Cabarete has many of those free of charge. The staff is excellent! Niel and Will are both great instructors. Myself, my wife and 11 year old son took various lessons from them.
Conditions there were a bit challenging since we are completely spoiled by flat water here on NE lakes. But getting used to the shorebrake and waves was a lot of fun itself. Had to learn how to waterstart faster and this is what Neil helped me with a lot. We enjoyed the Vela Voy Voy bar too. Drinks and food were great, reasonable prices.

Speaking of other rentals there. I only stopped by Mistral Club, which is just next to Vela. They have plenty of gear too at prices comparable to Vela. If you want to sail a laser talk to Tim there. If not, talk to him anyway, he is a very nice guy and can give you extensive intro on everything around from food to politics. Very Happy I was impressed watching him wavesailing on the laser.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: windsurfing in Cabarete Dominican Republic Reply with quote

quote="liquidmpls"]Hi

Can anyone give me advice on renting windsurf and/or kite gear
Are the instructors good?

Thanks[/quote]

Sorry, forgot to mention the most important thing - THE WIND Very Happy
All 7 day of our vacation it was from 4.5 to 5.5 normally from ~ 1pm to the end of Vela open hours. Once I got too impatient and went earlier on 7.7 Hellcat to check it out. Laughing For 7.X This sail is very light. Smile In about 30 minutes though the wind started picking up and I had to step down with the sail size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: