myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
where to sail Cape Cod in NE/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
force5

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: where to sail Cape Cod in NE/ Reply with quote

Friday says NE - where on Cape Cod to sail?

Chapin? Corporation beach? Other suggestions?
What are the rules - where can we launch with beachgoers around?

What are the tides tomorrow?

thanks!
wavedawg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chapin, yes. Corp. no - swim rope and lifeguards will shut you down. Heavy am rain usually means free parking, since no one will be at the beach - they're all busy driving around in circles, clogging up Cape roads.
pick a beach with good fetch from the NE(north- or east-facing beaches will give safe, side-on conditions). accurate tide info can be found on this site by clicking on a sensor location.
ron.c

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think tomorrow is one of those wait and see events. Every forecast seems to be a little different.

If all else fails, it could be a weekend bowl reunion w/ dawn and dusk options!!!!!!!!!

Ron C.
ron.c

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the reference to bowling is an inside message, but the good surf break that's been occupied by iwindsurf regulars is now getting overpopulated.

Last Sunday first thing in the mornng, the surf champ Mac hit it at 5:30 - I dropped my truck off at 9 to reserve a parking space and it was still pumping. By the time I returned with the family at 1+, the wind had made it scruffy.

Although it wasn't half bad, it was loaded with 7/8/9th grade shortboard- champ-wannabe-punks. I'm sure their mommies and daddies love them in spite of the tough guy attitudes. If I had to guess, mommy and daddy won't drag their a$$es out of bed, or skip cocktail hour for chauffering duty.

Do I have an attitude, #$%k yes; not enough sailing and a self imposed 1 week prison term of land based activties to try and mend an effed-up shoulder!! + plus I've gotta do the dishes tonight!!

unedited by RC
WaterKook

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries Ron. Next time on the bowl I will scare them with my 18 wheeler of a SUP.
They seem to lose a little attitude when you have a 6 foot night stick in your hands.
You are on your own this weekend though. Outcast and I are headed for the Vineyard. Plan on knocking on the surf natzie's door and intoducing him to SUP'in. Rock on brudda!!!
Abide. Very Happy

ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I kneel down and say my prayers for bed tonight, I know that any "kook" test given on the outer cape today was passed by me.

Would you believe waves close to 6' rolling in with the very high tide, over powered with a 4.2, cutting more grass, at high speed, than a lawn mower.

The attached picture does not do justice to the conditions.

RC

journal 001.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  203.05 KB
 Viewed:  13404 Time(s)

journal 001.jpg

ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm at it.

The state of my truck on the way home, reflects the state of my mind today!!!

The 1991 Haut not worth a dime to anyone else, but priceless to me!!

RC

journal 003.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  312.93 KB
 Viewed:  13401 Time(s)

journal 003.jpg

flaherty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Chapin was going off, on Friday. NNW wind, cold water,
unusual summer conditions. Me 3.7 with Open Ocean board,
Most were on 4.7 . Challenging conditions, some waves double over my 5' 6" head. PK was ripping it up. I played it cautious , took many breaks. Even the shore break was a bit tough,
with the onshore wind.
ron.c

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some thoughts on Friday:

It was, by far bigger, than the Tuesday of the last noreast'r.

Both sides of my a$$ are still sore when I sit on a hard surface - muscles pulled from over the top sailing.

Those were the biggest waves I've ever experienced at Skaket. The shore break was intense. My thought was once out stay out for the duration.

Instead of tying off my excess downhaul line to what ever is available, I tucked it up in the sleeve protector for a change. Something happened during the first turn (dumped due to a combination of high wind and nerves!!) I sailed the whole seesion with that thing loose for fear of being gobbled up by the waves that were popping up everywhere.

I also realized that it's time to redeck my board for the umpteenth time. Redeck from Jim at Sailworld already in hand.

A Saturday late dawn seesion with morebeachdotcom mike to the bowl before the pain set in has put me over the top for today.

All in all for me, Friday was a day to brag about but not one to dream for.

Ron Collins
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: