myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui - Kapalua in August - Launches?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpenfield

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Maui - Kapalua in August - Launches? Reply with quote

Hi - I'll be in Kapalua and am interested in launches that aren't too far away e.g. kanaha and south coast. Someone mentioned a launch near the Embassy Suites...It's so windy in August, there must be someplace decent to launch on that part of the island?.?.?...Thanks for recommendations!
fxop

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of offshore, isn't it? Of course, you've always got Molokai there to back you up. Kiters do launch from the Flemings-Honolua area, I'm told, but I don't know the exact launch.
SAS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of anything good that way; you're wind shadowed by the mountains and away from the major effect the valley between Haleakala and Kahalewai (AKA the west Maui mountains).

I suggest you make the drive to Kanaha; it's long, but would be worth it

Steve
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drive can be scenic. These days the traffic is half the usual because so many folks have left.
There is a lot to say about launching among other sailors in case of gear trouble. I left the launch twice now staright to the emergency room.
Kanaha is not crowded even on weekends.
weihlac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Maui - Kapalua in August - Launches? Reply with quote

Just bite the bullet and drive to Kanaha ~ 45 min from Kapalua. Wind direction in Kapalua is often off shore and fluky, few sailors (if any) around if you have a problem, and no equipment to rent.

Kanaha has consistently good or great conditions at this time of year (25+ mph yesterday, very powered up on a 5.2), great rentals within a mile of the beach, and plenty of experienced sailors to talk to, parking, grass to rig on, showers etc.

Alternatively north Kihei in the mid to late- afternoon can be good, but not as reliable as Kanaha, and no rental gear.

Al from Maui

Kanaha 7_19.gif
 Description:
wind at Kanaha 7/19
 Filesize:  19.12 KB
 Viewed:  20831 Time(s)

Kanaha 7_19.gif

mpenfield

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok...I'm convinced to do the drive...thanks!
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpenfield wrote:
ok...I'm convinced to do the drive...thanks!

but don't forget about kihei ! much closer than kanaha and good sailing there...

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=158&siteID=237&Isection=Local+Info
dabull1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: AH, MAUI!!!! NO KA OI Reply with quote

Embassy Suites and environs is sailable and fun during Winter when the Kona Winds blow. Make the run to Kanaha for the midday session, then when wind angles North, Kihei goes off for the cocktail sunset cruise! Just watch the tide charts for Kihei, don't even think about low tide sailing. Maui Sunset and Kalama Park are good launches and plenty windy. Remember to take or rent snorkle gear'cause Honolua Bay is a short drive from Kapalua,just look beyond the first parking lot with stairs to the next hairpin turn and hike down to the beach on the jungle trail, some of the best snorkeling you'll find. One more hot tip... Willie K at the Rusty Harpoon in Kaanapali on Tuesday, or Mulligan's on the Blue Wednesday in Wialea, if you like great live music DON'T MISS WILLIE K. [ check him out on YouTube]!!! For rentals, see my Buds at Hawaiian Island Surf and Sports, just tell 'em Koa's Godfather sent you and they'll give you the bro deal! They're good guys and gals, and close to Kanaha for gear switches. Try out the new Starboard Kody, a perfect board for Maui conditions! Have fun, Aloha, Da Bull
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stayed at the Kahana Reef Condos near Kapalaua and to our surprise, one day we came home to windsurfers and kiters all over the place. They were launching about 100 yards up the beach from us. right next door was a local house and next door to them was a resort I think every one was using for access. We had a front row seat. Very Cool. Below is a map of where we were, where they launched from and the view we had. To hell with the big resorts!......

KAHANA REEF BALCONY.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.56 KB
 Viewed:  20657 Time(s)

KAHANA REEF BALCONY.jpg

KAHANA REEF MAP.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.54 KB
 Viewed:  20657 Time(s)

KAHANA REEF MAP.jpg

mpenfield

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional info!

Da Bull - we will check out the snorkeling and music and probably rent surf boards and snorkel gear from your guys. Thanks!

Noshuzbluz - great shot! if the wind is right will check it out and report back. We leave in 2 weeks...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: