myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where to windsurf near Davis/Sacramento during Winter?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine has a pretty good theory about the decline of the summer wind at Rancho Seco. With all the development west of Seco along Twin Cites Rd the AC's running full time during the summer releases heatt upwards that dissrupts the delta breeze.

Coachg
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all do you really think it has changed? People commonly say things like; It used to be windy here all the time; It used to snow a lot more before, we used to get a lot more snow in the winter. Somehow people's memories end up wrong. After all, when we all started our expectations were much less. Who can forget the old long heavy boards and coming home and saying what a great day it was when it never even got to what we would call planing wind now.

I've made the point many times that windsurfing is the only sport that the better you get the less you go. That's what all the "new" longboard stuff is all about.

I don't know; maybe I'm wrong, but I'm just thinking about it.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought, boy, I better turn up the airconditioner or I'll overheat!

You know the feeling that you are driving home and just finished a good or great session and ALL IS RIGHT in the world? I try to describe it to others and that usually is met with blank stares, unless they are sailors.
Anyway we often think that the sailing has been "good" lately if we've even had a couple of good sessions. At that point you might say the sailing was great just a couple of days ago if you even had one really good session. I think this is human nature, if you aren't appreciative about your recent sessions and optimistic about the next few, then you quit windsurfing.

How often do you see a discussion that goes like this; Man the sailing hasn't been very good this year. Response; what are you talking about, I sailed my 4.7 twice this week. That really isn't an answer to the question is it a good year etc.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd
Many people do become windsnobs as they get better. That hasn’t happened to me as I still love to sail lakes as well as the delta/bay area. I sail now more then ever because my kids have grown up and have gone away to school & I modified my work schedule to free up more spring/summer time. I have no hard facts for Seco, just equipment use. I used to be able to count on planing with a 7.0 NP sail and 160 liter Mistral Malibu on a regular basis at Seco. Now I normally need 8.5-10 sails with a modern 160 liter light wind board to get going. The newer gear is much more efficient then my older gear so it appears to me that the summer winds there are lighter. My gear size hasn't changed for winter/spring NW clearing winds, just summer sailing. That is why it appears to me to be lighter.

Coachg
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thoughtful post.
Yakkster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz - Bic "Jungle"? Geeze they named a board after a Rio sailing spot? I Googled up Bic's website to get a better look. Pretty COOL! A do everything board. I watched their YouTube video clip and stand-up with a paddle on BIG waves looks interesting ... to watch. They didn't show it with the backrest for "kayaking" which would be something I'd consider. Used to paddle the 160l Mistral Ventura around Seco, but it got uncomfortable without a back rest. I have a sit inside yak with a trolling motor on the back now.

The gal in Bic's sailing video has butt cheeks that look a heck of a lot better than yours, but her sail doesn't. SWEET looking rig you've got there! Some time if you're headed for Seco give me a call. (I'll PM my number) I'd love to see you in action and will bring my camera for some up to date ego pleasing shots ... long as you promise NOT to wear Speedos or Spandex!

My un-scientific observation of wind and weather over the years is that "seasons" have tended to come later. Like this year not getting sustained HEAT in the Sacramento area until late July. Rain and snow coming later in the fall. Stuff like that.

YakMotor on Amador animation.gif
 Description:
My current "ride"
 Filesize:  178.31 KB
 Viewed:  10921 Time(s)

YakMotor on Amador animation.gif

Yakkster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember February at Seco. Full wetsuit with hood then splashing down and the cold water hitting my face like a brick! Showed me I'd never be a Alaskan crab fisherman! Conditions that used to cause misty edged whitecaps that aroused my passion now only have me chasing my plastic garbage can around. The weather station I've got here at Lake Amador recorded a 53 mph gust last winter.

Freestyle huh? Long as you're having FUN. Value is the inner peace that comes when you're out on the water no matter what your ride and what the peanut gallery offers for critique. I never been much for dancing, but recall my bootie groovin' with the flow in light winds at Seco with headphones connected to a waterproof Walkman.

Kona, cute dog, but looking a bit up-tight hanging-ten! LOVE the grab handle on the life vest!

Bif, my springer spaniel, was a water loving dog, but he couldn't stay still very long on the board usually resulting in us both getting wet. Dam* I was skinny then! This was at Folsom on, I think, my first board a O'brien a lead filled polypro slogger.

PS ... got it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: