myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Northern California Coast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkayes

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing Northern California Coast Reply with quote

Given the horrible forecast in the Bay this weekend, I'm looking do some driving to get some of that tasty wind that's blowing down from Oregon along the North California Coast (probably not windy south of Pt Arena but nukin' north of it). Anyone have suggested spots to sail? Hazard reports? Anyone want to come? I'd hate to drive up there and have no one to sail with.
crashman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you end up going let us know where and how it was please!

I sold a board to a guy who's home spot is McKerricher I think. Maybe not far enough north, but he has a whole crew he sails with up there. Forgot his name too.

People sail in Humboldt Lagoons but supposedly it gets some wierd algae bloom and can be unhealthy. I almost sailed the ocean side there there but it was huge and I wussed out. Looked good though.
89Spring

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any feedback on this? We would like to go for a small camping road trip up the coast.
sailandbail

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Lagoon about 20 miles north of Arcata. Long reaches and clear water separated from the ocean by a sandspit. Take 101 past the Big Lagoon park entrance: After you cross a bridge on the south side of the lagoon, go down the second dirt road on the left and head down to the beach. Don't try it in a low car. Sweet sailing and great scenery = Very Happy
pduff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schooner Gulch, just this side of Pt. Arena, is a nice place to sail. It is a bit of a walk from where you park, maybe 5 minutes. I suspect you could even camp here without being hassled. During the summer the waves are small and well shaped as long as you sail in front of the creek outlet. The locals say that this area is in a banana belt and receives very little fog. The downside is that it is a very long way to drive and get skunked (which has happened).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: