myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Saved at 3rd today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Saved at 3rd today Reply with quote

Hey folks -

Just wanted to do a little shout out to a few folks who saved my ass today at 3rd. Far out past the channel I went straight through my sailing blowing out the leach from the boom on up.

After a few failed attempts with a near by sail boat John Wagner sacrificed a great day of wind and swell to tow me in. He spent about an hour hauling me and the remains of my rig back into shore. All in all making pretty good time and dealing with some large swells and variable winds. I can't thank him enough. He was a champ -- things could have been a lot worse without the help of someone who really knew what they were doing. I feel guilting for leaving him south for the southern launch to make his way back home.

Also thanks to Henry for being first on the scene and notifying the folks on the beach and the Helm of Sun Valley jet-ski guy (sorry, can't remember you name) for getting me in the last quarter mile.

If anyone has an email address or contact information for John it would be much appreciated.

Take care out there... I feel lucky to know that there are so many good people who are ready and able to help.

Best -
Phil
constantinou@gmail.com
r_g_armstrong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you made it in. I was the one who notified the sailboat. If he couldn't pull you on board, I expected that he could have towed you, but I guess he wanted to avoid the shoals and didn't want to take you to Redwood City?

A big yacht once picked me up off Alcatraz after I broke a mast, and it was easy to get me and my rig on board.

Rod
tstizzle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as there's some controversy about the best towing method, please describe what worked for you guys. thanks.
philc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r_g_armstrong wrote:
I was the one who notified the sailboat. If he couldn't pull you on board, I expected that he could have towed you, but I guess he wanted to avoid the shoals and didn't want to take you to Redwood City?

A big yacht once picked me up off Alcatraz after I broke a mast, and it was easy to get me and my rig on board.

Rod

Thanks Rod -
I appreciate the help.

I had high hopes for the sailboard but I don't think they were very experienced and it seemed like the situation could have gone from uncomfortable to bad pretty quickly. They offered to get all my equipment on the boat and take me to Redwood City -- the keel

They came around once with a rescue hook and tried to grab me. Unfortunately I ended up with the hook (which was all aluminum and didn't float). Out in the channel I think the swell and wind made them too unmanuverable.

I should have mentioned, many other sailors offered to help, call the coast guard and just came by to make sure everything was ok.

Knowing you've got people watching out for you makes all the difference.

Thanks again for the help Rod.
philc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Towing method Reply with quote

tstizzle wrote:
as there's some controversy about the best towing method, please describe what worked for you guys. thanks.

The method we used worked very well. I de-rigged, dumped my sail, left my mast base attached to the universal on the board. The boom was hooked around the base with the mast threaded through them. I didn't thread the mast through the footstrap 'cuz the angle wasn't good, but would have done so if it was possible.

John had an extra down haul line. We tied my downhaul to his connecting my board to his from mast based to rear footstrap. I held onto the mast based getting as much of my weight on the board as possible.

With a lines of about 12 feet between my base and his foot strap we needed to be careful, I could get hit by the mast when waterstarting. If the line was too much longer then it would have been harder to keep tension.

John was able to sail hooked into the harness but not in the footstraps (nonetheless it looked exhausting).

In the end I lost a sail and my spreader bar. Could have been a lot worse.

Neither of us had floaty boards, mine was a 82 liter and John's didn't look any bigger.

Last edited by philc on Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
tstizzle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks philc. glad it all worked out ok.
beallmd

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: rescue Reply with quote

I helped a guy at Rio on the far side. We took turns doing the death slog across. It was exhausting for sure.
loopless

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a technique that worked really well in Carlos. Use the outhaul of the boom and loop the outhaul around the back foot-strap ( easy and secure as you use the outhaul cleat etc). The 'towee' then lies on the board+rig holding onto the boom. As the towee can have his weight towards the rear, the board gets a nice nose up attitude, drag is minimised and holding onto the boom gives him/her some control of the board as well. I swear we were semi-planing on the way back.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres how iso does it, afterwards he is more refreshed, LOL. I must have the wrong technique cause after my tow in I was toast, fully powered and moving 5mph. the guy i towed in was hyperemic and not very helpful, lucky he did not drowned me.

isobars wrote:
Sounds like time to repeat an old tip.

I was tired from four hours on almost a continuous plane (first-ever Mistral Ecstasy ride explains THAT; until that day I was very happy to hit 30% of my jibes), yet almost dozed off while towing a guy and all his gear from the Oregon shore to the Hatchery while I was overpowered on a 4.2. I was doing almost no work, just lying back in my harness, relaxed, steering with my fingertips, every ounce of wind power flowing through man-made hardware. He and I chatted about the wind and the day, and pretty much arrived in Washington all rested up. I dropped him off at the launch of his choice, water started, and resumed my session refreshed.

Mike \m/
tstizzle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, according to iso, next time i get tired and feeling like ending my session, i should just grab someone for a short tow? awesome! i have so much to learn!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: