myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
IWindsurf still having issues, How long will it last?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, sw problems are enough of a bear even with consistent issues. This/these bugs are very inconsistent, indicating to me that iW's sw works in a normal internet environment but is subject to some random or periodic disturbance. i.e., it's functional, but not quite as robust as it should be. It's humming right along at dawn Pacific time this fine but DEAD FRICKING CALM Sunday AM. Frankly, I'm much more concerned about what I DO see from iW and every other forecast than from torpid response times. We should be getting blown into Idaho this time of the year, yet even the beginner kiters are often bored lately.

My tune will change the minute I see trees moving and I can't hit a button and scope out the details within 15 seconds.

Mike \m/
rationalnational

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this site to hear what a freak Jesus can be. It seems each month he's got something to blubber about.

heheheehee
jesusjones

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rationalnational wrote:
I use this site to hear what a freak Jesus can be. It seems each month he's got something to blubber about.

heheheehee

From my observation on the many threads concerning service, I am not alone in my experience. I'm glad I don't live in a van Like Isobars then I would be stuck in the Gorge and have nothing better to do than make everyone else see my point on everything. As for this rational guy, it’s an obvious character attack probably because of jealousy or envy. I forgive you my son, you don’t know any better!

Last edited by jesusjones on Sun May 31, 2009 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
jesusjones

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andymc4610 wrote:
ldhr wrote:
I use the site all day every day,,,,, and the response time is always good. The response time to load a page is almost always less than 3 seconds.
You should try all the usual web browser cleanup stuff. Delete your temp internet files. Delete history. etc. etc.

No, it ain't a browser/ history problem, it's the site. this thread is has been going for a month.
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17701
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17142

Dear Rat/Nat read before opening fat mouth!!!!
jesusjones

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair I would like to add that; my overall experience with IWindsurf has been good and the site is working well this morning. However; it would really be nice if someone came forward and said sorry for any problems, delays, and service issues. It’s very obvious something is going on? The beginning of the End? Hope not, I know I would feel better knowing someone is aware and wants to improve the service, then my mouth shuts up on this one. Got to go now, here comes Isobars and Rat/Nat, I’m outta here…………………………..God Bless and happy sailing. P>S. I ain’t no Jesus freak; I thought it would be a cool Pirate name? Later……….
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesusjones wrote:
I would feel better knowing someone is aware and wants to improve the service, then my mouth shuts up on this one.

Direct quote from iW back in April in this forum, at
http://tinyurl.com/m52fv9 :

<< Hi folks.

No hardware or sysadmin has been outsourced! Jim and I are still here. And we're painfully aware of the server issues that continue to plague us. The latest issues kept three of us from getting out in the 20 kts of wind that visited central Florida this weekend (a far-too-uncommon occurrence). So, we literally feel your pain.

There's nothing that should have increased demand on our systems this year, and increased traffic is not the issue. Year-to-date traffic is up about 20% over last year and has especially picked up in the last few weeks, but that's low compared to July, and it's certainly no excuse - we try and operate at or below 50% capacity, and we are clearly failing that goal so far.

We completely agree that the current situation is unacceptable. The Florida team is working around the clock to identify the issues and correct them. It's been a bit like playing whack-a-mole though: as soon as we smack one down another one pops up. It's not just a hardware issue, nor is it a simple piece of code that's causing the problems. Here are the things we're doing:

1. Doubling our web server capacity.
2. Increasing our bandwidth by 5x.
3. Replacing our load balancer, which is having problems we cannot explain.
4. Upgrading our fileservers with bigger, stronger, faster ones.
5. Removing all "beta" code and any other code added in the last six months that has not been thoroughly tested.
6. Adding more layers of instrumentation and monitoring to all systems.

Thanks for bearing with us. And yes, if anyone has specific advice, please PM me.

David
Weatherflow staff >>

And when we do PM them with useful input, we get even more explanation.

Now, how about your promise, JJ?

Mike
jesusjones

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected; thanks for pointing that out to me M. But months worth of issues on going? Read all the complaints Mike it aint just me and we don’t have any alternatives. Bent over the barrel as they say! For some people that aren’t living on the river it’s a bigger problem then you may think.
pinkwaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, an alternative free website with cams and sensors:

windonthewater.com
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesusjones wrote:
For some people that aren’t living on the river it’s a bigger problem then you may think.

I've based my my entire life, hour by hour and month by month, including many hundreds of thousands of miles of driving, on wind forecasts and live data, for 21 years now. iW website hiccups almost never impact that for me, because IWAP is just a click away 99.9% of the time. I not only drive, but select, rig and tune my sail and board by it.

Mike \m/
blythefly

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford the cost of admission for this sport: boards, sails, masts, booms, accessories, enabling vehicle, gas, time not spent sailing not working, computer, Internet connection, etc., the cost of this service is not completely out of line, IMHO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: