myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wetsuite Advice for new/old Bay Area Sailor
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epenrose

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to agree with rigatoni, but he is right, all relative.

I get far less cold when surfing than windsurfing but find using the formula time out of the water in seconds by sprint to tequila stash to immediate consumption dictates how bloody frozen you actually get...
galateo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: japanese wetsuit Reply with quote

Alphabet, if money is not too much of a issue, you should check the Matuse 4/3/2 mm wetsuit it's the best stuff ever made, flexible, warm and they dry in no time. Good to have you back!
victor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm wondering how long other people's wetsuits last.

two season on my excel and the shoulders are falling apart from uv damage. the forearms are also showing damage. the rest of the suit looks almost new.

i sail quite a bit, at least 120 days a year. previously i've used oneil suits that might start to rip at the seams and get holes after two seasons but never just disentigrate where the sun hits them.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been away from the sport for TOO LONG as well and had to get new suits. I still have my neon colored Bare full suit that feels like wearing a suit of armour. I got all Neil Pryde suits. 2/2 2000 series shorty, 3/3 3000 series full leg/short sleeve and a NPX series 5/4/3 semi dry that is the most comfortable suit I've ever worn. The neoprene technology these days is amazing! I was wondering though, is there any place to recycle old wetsuits?
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree that the Neilprydes fit well, but my last one blew the crotch seam after 2-3 wearings, then the shoulders rotted after 2-1/2 years. I've switched to ProMotion, heard a lot of good things about durability(seams are warrantied for LIFE!), and their Wind Suits are made for windsurfers, with extra room in the forearms so you don't cramp up, and a new kind of wind skin that's stronger than ever. Since it's my first suit from ProMotion I can't really talk about durability, but mine fits great and is super warm & comfy. They also have great phone / e-mail service, so if you want to talk about fit you can just call them up. Great service, rare in today's world. www.wetsuit.com
heykerrdog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NPX Assasin 4/3 Semi-dry fell apart after a couple of sessions. The glue that holds the tape to the stitching inside of the suit failed and the tape was coming off. NPX refers to this as P-Skin tape. They claim to have had a bad batch of glue. The manufacturer replaced the suit free of charge with a 2009 model. Mine was a 2008 model. I have not worn the new suit. I probably won't wear it. I'm skeptical of the construction.

My Rip Curl 4/3 F-Bomb has Double Aquaban Liquid Tape construction. No stitching at the seams. Lighter, more flexible, and no water penetration.

Side-by-side comparison of the seam construction of the NPX to the Rip Curl is like comparing a cold-patch rubber repair to a hot-patch rubber repair. The NPX, with its stitched/glued/taped seam has the appearance and feel that you could pull the tape away with your fingers. The Rip Curl, with its Double Aquaban Liquid Tape seam, looks and feels like it is melted together to form one continuous seamless unit--like there are no seams at all, just flat rubber lines on the suit, both inside and out.

Regardless of what you choose, my research (after the NPX fell apart) pointed to LIQUID SEALED seams for the coldest protection. If you choose to buy a stitched suit, the DOUBLE BLIND STITCHED and LIQUID SEALED was the answer for coldest protection in a stitched suit. The drawbacks to stitched were that the needle holes can line up and let water pass through the seams--hence the cloth tape or liquid tape over the stitching.

Good reference:

http://wetsuitgear.com/glossary.php

This one says it's currently having a website problem. It may/may not work:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:KgjZTwBC74AJ:360guide.info/wetsuits/complete-wetsuit-guide.html%3FItemid%3D58+complete+wetsuit+guide&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
alphabet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great advice everybody.

After trying on a bunch of suits I ended up erring on the side of expensive and bought a Pattagucci.

Here is the logic:

1. It fit my Medium Short proportions best.
2. It was highly recommended by you.
3. Its supposed to be extra warm so a 3m feels like a 5/3m.
4. It was easier to get off and on because it didn't vacuum bag my body like the other more stretchy suits.
5. I stimulate economy.
6. Its more expensive so it must be the best?!?!?!

I'll probably end up get something thinner for summer sailing in the bay as well once it gets hotter.

Thanks again for your advice. I can't wait to try out the suit. If I have an yimpressions that seem newsworthy I'll post a review of the suit. But this would be in comparison to my 1988 neon Bare suit (like noshuzbluz) so my insight may not be so accute.

It was nice meeting some of the folks who posted replies at Crissy today. Great to see there is a strong and cool community!! Look forward to seeing everybody on the water - once I finish getting all my gear...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: