myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
imcs Mast Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colinsails

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: imcs Mast Question Reply with quote

Hi There...Can someone out there help me out with a mast question. Most 430 mast seem to have an imcs of 21...but Sailworks 75% carbon mast.."Joystick" is 22.5. Qestion is if my sail calls for 430 75% @21...will the Lipstick work well with it? What would I notice different...if anything?

Thanks
icesailing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: mast Reply with quote

yes it will work fine. what you want to be careful of is putting a cut down mast like a 460 into it. light people can get away with it but i think its still better to get the right mast.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't comment on your specific mast and sail, but in general many sailors simple prefer a slightly stiffer mast for its boost in crispness. Many of those are guys over 180 or so who can overpower the nominal mast, but I've also seen many much lighter guys prefer an extra 10% or even a bit more above specified stiffness. It tends to enhance the draft depth, adding some low-end power, and adds both handling and gust tolerance to many sails. I'd guess it's more noticeable in camless sails, especially those with fewer than about 5 battens.

Mike \m/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the IMCS figures for a 430 400 or what are almost all the same, doesn't matter whose mast, they all seem to quote the same.They are pretty much useless, WHAT you need is what mast bend curve the sail in question is designed for ,

you have amoung others , flex top, stiff top and the variations between, if you go for opposite extreme, they sail will NOT perform to its potential.
I would call Sailworks with the sail info, they are good are providing tech support, actually really good, they should be able to tell you if the mast will work the way the sail is designed for.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: